Today I cracked open the first bottle of a white wheat ale I made a few weeks ago. I fermented for 2 weeks and conditioned in bottles for 4 weeks.
I mashed at 157F, which was a little higher than I was aiming for, but I wanted to go for something on the higher end with the aim of getting a fairly full bodied beer. I chose to add a few extra early hops and ease off on the late additions, to ensure that the hop flavor bomb didn’t steal the show from the wheat in the final flavor profile.
I’m happy with how this turned out – the bitterness and flavor profile is pretty much what I was aiming for. Next time I might dry hop for a bit of extra aroma, and perhaps try adding lactose/more wheat, and making this a hazy beer.
This was a nanobrew, but I’m including the grain info recipe:
Mash at 157F for 45 min
2 lb 12 oz grain per gallon
55% 2-Row pale
35% white wheat
10% flaked wheat
Mash for 50 minutes
0.8 oz of hops per gallon
Pacific Jade and warrior first wort hops
Pinch irish moss @ 15 min to go
Columbus @ 15 min left
Citra @ 10 minutes left
Mosaic @ 5 minutes left
This was a fun experiment. In my 5L (1.3 gallon) batch I used only one type of pale malt, as I really wanted to maximize the chance of the bitter orange and coriander seed shining through, and not being overshadowed by a strong malt profile.
During the mash, I measured out the adjuncts and crushed the coriander seed, eventually adding these in the last 5 mins of the boil.
I went with mostly late hop additions, using some Columbus pellets to add spicy and peppery notes, Citra pellets for a robust fresh bitterness, and Cascade leaf hops right before chilling, for a citrus and floral aroma.
It smelt great right before I pitched the yeast, and I’m excited to taste it in a few weeks!