Mash in @ 150F
2 row pale malt (85% grain bill), carapils (10%) and flaked oats (5%)
Kent Golding first wort hops
Styrian hops half way through the boil
Coriander seed at 20 min left (approx 25 small crushed seeds)
Styrian hop additions at 10 min left, 5 min left and at end
Columbus hops at end
Safale S-33 dry yeast pitched at 66F
Total grain: 2lb 6oz per gallon
Total hops: 0.8 oz per gallon
I was very happy with how this turned out. Safale S-33 performed very well in this traditional Belgian style. I fermented for 2 weeks in primary, and then went straight to bottle conditioning for 4 weeks. Citrus and spice notes, a refreshing tang, very clean drinking, with no off flavors or aromas. I will definitely be repeating this one.
Based in the Southwest USA, I am sadly not blessed with a basement, and so temp control is a rather critical and cumbersome task at all times of the year.
All summer long, I used a large freezer unit outside in the garage, with a Baylite pre-wired temp-controller to create a fermentation chamber with a temp range of of 66F to 67.5F. This ensured that fermentation started towards the top of the recommended range for my yeast strains, so yeast got to work quickly and I would typically see bubbles in the airlock within 24 hours.
This winter, I’ll be moving my fermenters indoors, as I don’t have a way of adding heat to the existing unit. I’m apprehensive about not having quite the same level of strict control over the fermenting temp, especially in the first couple of days after the yeast is pitched. Having said this, I did make some great beer back in the UK indoors. My usual strategy is to select a cupboard which is neither too near nor too far from the home’s primary heat source, and far from things which could cause warming or cooling if possible. For example, the kitchen is probably not ideal, as most kitchens heat up considerably when something is in the oven. Close to a window or against an external wall is also not optimal, as much heat will be lost in this area, especially during overnight lows.
I’ve carefully selected a cupboard accordingly. I’m confident that I’ll be able to keep the space in the 60F to 69F range. My plastic fermenters have thermometers on the side, and I have a mini digital thermometer for the space, so I will be able to monitor the difference between the ambient temp in the cupboard and the temp of the beer itself. Temperatures of fermenting beers spike in the first couple of days, as the process creates its own heat. I’ll be keeping an eye on the beer temps and using the old-fashioned cold water bath for the fermenters if I start to see the temp creeping above 73F.
Today I cracked open the first bottle of a white wheat ale I made a few weeks ago. I fermented for 2 weeks and conditioned in bottles for 4 weeks.
I mashed at 157F, which was a little higher than I was aiming for, but I wanted to go for something on the higher end with the aim of getting a fairly full bodied beer. I chose to add a few extra early hops and ease off on the late additions, to ensure that the hop flavor bomb didn’t steal the show from the wheat in the final flavor profile.
I’m happy with how this turned out – the bitterness and flavor profile is pretty much what I was aiming for. Next time I might dry hop for a bit of extra aroma, and perhaps try adding lactose/more wheat, and making this a hazy beer.
This was a nanobrew, but I’m including the grain info recipe:
Mash at 157F for 45 min
2 lb 12 oz grain per gallon
55% 2-Row pale
35% white wheat
10% flaked wheat
Mash for 50 minutes
0.8 oz of hops per gallon
Pacific Jade and warrior first wort hops
Pinch irish moss @ 15 min to go
Columbus @ 15 min left
Citra @ 10 minutes left
Mosaic @ 5 minutes left
This was a fun experiment. In my 5L (1.3 gallon) batch I used only one type of pale malt, as I really wanted to maximize the chance of the bitter orange and coriander seed shining through, and not being overshadowed by a strong malt profile.
During the mash, I measured out the adjuncts and crushed the coriander seed, eventually adding these in the last 5 mins of the boil.
I went with mostly late hop additions, using some Columbus pellets to add spicy and peppery notes, Citra pellets for a robust fresh bitterness, and Cascade leaf hops right before chilling, for a citrus and floral aroma.
It smelt great right before I pitched the yeast, and I’m excited to taste it in a few weeks!